Junior High Program
Our Junior High Program is designed for students 5th through 8th grade. These upper primary grades offer a more structured block scheduling to help each student attend to their deepening level of educational understanding. Even at this level, we still recognize that children develop at their own pace and in their own learning style. Our goal is to help each child maintain a love for learning, as well as prepare them with the skills needed to be successful in High School whether they go into a traditional setting or continue natural learning through homeschooling. By creating a respectful environment that allows children to delve deeply into each subject or concept independently and in groups, and providing hands-on projects and games, your child can feel inspired to be an independent and creative thinker.
Our schedule is designed to offer opportunities for:
- Independent and group learning
- Hands-on projects and games
- In-depth exploration of concepts
Discovery of Learning's Junior High provides instruction twice a week with a full day schedule (9:00am-2:30pm). We have block scheduling to allow deeper periods of study with advanced concepts in language arts, mathematics, social studies and science during morning periods, followed by specialized Electives designed to round-out students’ educational experiences. Upon enrollment in our junior high, each student will begin compiling a portfolio which will document the child's educational journey at DOL.
9-9:30am – Free Exploration
9:30-9:45am – Group Discussion/Morning Meeting
9:45-11:15am – Math or Language Arts
11:15am-12pm – Social Studies/Science – Project Based Learning
12-1pm – Lunch
1:15-2:30pm – Elective
Our approach to math is one in which the teachers both guide and work alongside the young learners as they explore math concepts. The teachers cater to the children’s needs and curiosities by helping them navigate through math concepts via real-world, hands-on, innovative, or traditional activities such as cooking recipes, field observation, kinetic/dynamic games, and standard calculations. The spectrum of mathematical concepts that our discoverers approach is based on their desire for exploration and teachers’ observation of their needs. Part of the foci of our approach is to develop critical thinking skills, strengthen cognitive processes through math, strengthen our learners’ abilities to perform basic, and when applicable, advanced mathematical functions, and to help our learners gain the confidence to take on higher math problems. A spectrum of concepts might include measurements, graphing, plotting, geometry, long division, percentages, multi-step word problems, algebra, and data collection, organization, and analysis.
Our approach to English is one in which teachers expose children to the various modes of language arts through independent and group reading, and encourage them to go more in-depth with the ones they want to explore. Teachers use real-world, hands-on, and traditional activities to foster student learning. In terms of reading content, teachers cover a spectrum that includes non-fiction, expository texts, fiction, and poetry. Also, the spectrum of writing practices might include several genres such as essay, journal, report, summary, poetry, narrative, and other visual expressions. Moreover, a spectrum of concepts children explore might include theme, authorship, structure, grammar, rhetoric, and annotation. Our goal is to develop critical thinking skills, strengthen writing skills, raise rhetorical awareness, and help our discoverers explore aspects of language arts they are curious about.
Social Studies/Science - Project Based Learning
Students will be introduced to a variety of social studies topics through project based learning. Teachers will take the children’s lead in areas of interest to introduce key concepts regarding our community, cultures, global topics and more. Children will be encouraged to engage in long-term projects that will allow them to delve deeply into the subject, build critical thinking skills as they learn, create, comprehend, and reflect on a topic. Children will work side-by-side with peers, building friendships and deepening their understanding of team work and collaboration.
Students attend 2 electives per week. Electives vary by location:
- Meet the artist
- Cursive through history
- More to be announced this Fall
Junior High Program Tuition
2017-2018 Core & Electives Program Tuition:
Monthly Tuition** (9:00am-2:30pm) optional 2-3 days per week, days listed reflect services offered for the upcoming program year. Please contact campus for current days of service.
- Beaumont (240 Maple Ave., Suite A) - Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs
- Costa Mesa (3186 Pullman St.) – Mon/Wed/Thurs
- Davis (1620 Anderson Rd.) – Tues/Thurs
- Indio (46100 Rubidoux St., Suite 10) – Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs
- Palm Desert (4735 CA-74) - Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs
- Riverside – (4937 Sierra Vista Ave.) – Mon/Tues/Thurs
- Tustin – (225 W. Main St.) – Mon/Tues/Wed
- Yorba Linda (19045 Yorba Linda Blvd.) – Tues/Thurs
Monthly tuition varies by location based on days of services offered, please see Registration page for details + non-refundable registration fee of $175/child.
Springs Charter Preferred Vendor
This status allocates an additional $500 toward program costs.
DOL & Inspire Charter Schools Specialty Program** Benefits:
We want to support parents' decisions to enroll in a charter that meets their family needs. The goal is to offer homeschool families' choices in programming, curriculum and enrichment and we have found Inspire to meet those goals.
- Full monthly tuition covered for our 2 Day Program Sept-May
- $500 in instructional funds to be used toward educational services and products.
- Access to Compass Learning Online Curriculum
- DOL/Inspire Homeschool Teacher accounting for charter required work samples, learning logs, attendance records, grade reporting, and family feedback sessions.
- Each Core & Electives Classroom is limited to 15-20 families to ensure each child is provided with individualized attention and learning.
- Please see our Online Calendar for Semester start/end dates, special events and Holidays/Closures.
- Please contact us to schedule a visit or observe a class. No drop-ins please.
- Discovery of Learning’s Core & Electives Program is designed to supplement the homeschool family and compliment what parents are doing at home, not completely replace it. Our classes are enrichment classes; they are meant to provide balance for the homeschooling family and support parents, who remain their children’s primary teachers.
Call Discovery of Learning at (888) 625-2012 for questions or contact us to schedule a tour!